On-Premise Solutions vs Cloud Intranet Software
Cloud technology has revolutionized how businesses manage their operations. With cloud intranet applications, organizations can give employees access to collaboration tools and important company information – without needing a central office or server infrastructure. But when it comes to deciding if a cloud-based solution is better than an on-premise one, there’s no simple yes or no answer.
Every business is different in terms of finances, resources, needs, and goals. Weighing the pros and cons of each type will be key in determining which option works best for you and your team. Whether you decide to go with a cloud-based solution or stick with an on-premise system, just know that both have advantages worth exploring!
Need to find the right intranet software solution for your business? We can help! Outlining pros and cons can make it easy-peasy, so you should really try to get a good understanding of all the options. That way, you can be sure to make the best choice.
#The Advantages of On-Premise Intranet Software
You may choose to host your intranet software onsite for a variety of reasons, some of which may be more advantageous to your company than others.
- Enhanced Security: We all know how essential security is regardless of the industry we work in. Although cloud hosting offers some more secure options, nothing beats the feeling of having everything under one roof and consequently making it less accessible to malicious intruders.
- More Control: Why on-premise? Quite simply, you get what you pay for! Maintenance costs might be higher but that being said, you will have a lot more control over your data than putting it up in the cloud. That sense of ownership carries a big advantage, especially among IT professionals who are very focused on reliability and trustworthiness.
- Unlock the Full Potential for Customization: You can give your business a major boost when you control the customization of software, allowing collaboration options that are far harder to access otherwise. Being able to tailor certain elements makes optimizing operations super easy and is one of the best benefits to take advantage of having an in-house platform.
- Smooth Incorporation with Existing Processes: Even if it’s just obtaining SaaS, a properly integrated intranet system helps make sure all processes run smoothly. But when you’re hosting your own platform, integration gets even more straightforward and reliable. So no matter what changes are necessary in order to better serve your team’s needs–you’re fully equipped!
#The Disadvantages of On-Premise Intranet Software
On-premise software has a number of advantages, some of which can be deal-breakers, but there are also drawbacks.
Here are some “cons” to be aware of if you’re thinking about taking this path:
- Initial High Cost of Installation: It can definitely be something to consider when setting up an on-premise system – it’s often higher than SaaS or cloud intranet solutions. Hardware, space rental, licensing fees, and other associated costs for this type of system can add up quickly and make it tough for small businesses that don’t have the budget.
- Limited Mobile Access: Stuck in Mobile Limbo? Nowadays, being able to access software on the go is practically a necessity. But not all companies are up with the times on this: I’ve spoken with a few that still don’t give their mobile employees access to their internal network or make it hard for them by requiring them to first connect through a virtual private network (VPN). Long story short, you may find yourself feeling quite restricted when you’re always traveling from place to place. That’s why understanding your potential limited mobility restrictions early can be a lifesaver!
- Insufficient IT support: Having IT Support by your side during troubleshooting can greatly help! That’s why cloud-based intranet software often comes with helpful tech assistance from the get-go — no extra fees or internal IT staff required. Not to mention, getting help on demand when you need it is much easier than relying on older, in-house software for support. Put simply: ditch the manual stuff and make life simpler through cloud-native services
#The Advantages of Cloud Intranet Software
Every day, the importance of the cloud in the business world grows, and cloud-based software solutions are becoming more and more prevalent in businesses of all sizes.
#Listed below are a few “advantages” of cloud intranet software options:
- Save Money: Moving to a cloud-based intranet could be cheaper than opting for traditional, on-premise solutions. You don’t have to worry as much about hardware and software costs, potentially adding up to thousands of dollars in savings each year!
- Go Remote: One of the most useful reasons for using an intranet is your business’s ability to enhance its remote capabilities. Cloud-based intranets make working from home or remotely easier than ever before so that employees can carry out their tasks with ease. On-premises options can still offer great help when it comes to improved remote processes but there are now loads of awesome cloud solutions available too.
- Make IT Easier: While you’re in the process of shopping for a cloud intranet, be sure to find one from a trusted software provider. Not only are you getting quality service and help when you need it the most, but you are also able to benefit from their expertise since they know their products inside and out.
- Make Things Simpler: With on-demand updates directly through the Cloud Intranet platform sent out by your vendor quickly and efficiently, there’s no hassle necessary. Enjoy peace of mind knowing that updates come worry-free – unlike with on-premises solutions that require manual updates!
#The Disadvantages of Cloud Intranet Software
Although cloud intranet software may appear to be the ideal response for your company, it also has drawbacks, such as:
- Losing Out On Control: When you subscribe to a cloud-based intranet, it often means paying a monthly fee for some basic features. While this isn’t necessarily bad, people who want more control over their system don’t find such options too pleasing.
- Configuration vs Heavy Customization: One way in which an intranet can be tailored according to the organization’s needs is through customization. With cloud-based intranets, unlike on-premise solutions, configuring them is easier than heavily customizing them so that they work best for everyone on the team. But there are vendors who offer strong customization capabilities with their clouds as well!
- More Freedom to Focus on your Core Business: When you’re working with a cloud-based platform, systems and data are managed by the vendor, freeing up resources for your company to focus on its core business activities. For many businesses, this is an advantage as it reduces the need to manage IT tools in-house. However, if you have security concerns about having external vendors managing certain parts of your intranet software or data storage, there are usually options that can be explored. Talk with the vendor representatives to ensure they understand your data ownership needs and discuss any specific questions you may have so that you feel comfortable using their services.
Picking the right intranet software for your organization can be tricky and it depends somewhat on the size and type of business you’re running. If you’re a young startup, cloud intranets may offer an advantage as they don’t require expensive setup costs right away. Whereas larger enterprises that want more control over their systems may benefit from using an on-premise software solution which offers more possibilities not available with cloud solutions. Weigh up each option carefully, depending on how it impacts your organization positively or negatively so that you can choose the one that fits best.